Sunday, April 10, 2011

Costa Rica Trip

Yes I am a total slacker but I am still not 100% healthy. I won't get into what I have or don't have because the doctors haven't figured it all out but as my abuelita would say: bad weeds never die, so I will be around for a long time!

My trip went well although it was touch and go days before. I was still feeling bad when I left. I hadn't eaten for days so I was weak and tired but I packed my stuff and my traveling companion, Flat Stanley, and went anyway. In Asheville our plane was delayed and we left late. I had a connection in Charlotte so it was tight.

In Asheville you have to check your carry-ons because it is a puddle jumper plane to Charlotte. So when we landed the luggage guys take the stuff out and then put it on a rack. Well, I was so rushed that I literally pushed some people out of my way to grab my bag. Then I took off running up the ramp and into the airport. It was like those old O.J. Hertz commercials. I was running, jumping and, again, pushing little kids and old people out of my way.

Halfway there I ran out of the steam because I had no energy but I kept pushing and half running. When I made it to the gate, they had been boarding and there was only a few people left to board. I barely made it. I was sweaty and hyperventilating when I finally got on the plane. Luckily, it was a 4.5 hour flight so I could rest.

When I arrived in Costa Rica, my mom and sister picked me up and then went to my mom's house. I just wanted to rest. After unpacking, I rested a little then we went out to a Japanese dinner. It was the first solid meal I had in about a week.

Since my trip there was more business than pleasure, I really didn't do a lot of stuff. We would breakfast with my mom, go have lunch with my dad and then have dinner with mom. I saw a few cousins and by the end of the week, I was eating but only about a third of what I normally eat. The only good thing is that since I have gotten sick, I have lost about 10 pounds. Not the best way to do it but I could stand to lose a few pounds and I didn't even have to exercise.

I wish I would have had more time to do fun things because Flat Stanley would have enjoyed it but I didn't. I did go visit my favorite church in Cartago. Yes, yes, every time I get near a church I figure I might go all Damien or blow up or something but I didn't. The church is over 375 years old. It is also so beautiful.

People go there to gather water from the fountain because the story goes that the Virgin Mary appeared to some children there. People also go and leave Milagros (miracles) in forms of charms so the Virgin can perform a miracle and heal them. At one time, you would walk in and all over the walls were little gold charms shaped like organs, hands, feet, etc. hanging on the walls. I think they took them all down because maybe people were stealing them.

The other good thing although I wasn't eating much is that my mami made me tamales. I will try and have the videos up on tamale making this week. It explains how they are made. I actually have a video of me eating one for breakfast but when I looked at it, I looked like Holy Hell. OMG what a troll. I have puffy eyes and look demented so I might not be putting that up on You Tube for the world to see. Dios mio!

The tamales were delish. I wish I could have eaten more. The other meal I got that I loved was my Olla de Carne. My mom's friend Lola made it for me. Now some of you know that I make Olla de Carne for myself when Tom is out of town. Well, after getting a lesson from Lola, I realized that I was making my Olla de Carne all wrong. I was, of course, doing it all willy nilly. But Lola gave me some good tips and showed me the ropes. Her Olla de Carne was delicious.

I had Olla de Carne the second day I was in Costa Rica as well when we went out to lunch with my dad. It as delish but Lola's was even better. I have to say I hate going to Costa Rica and not being able to eat because there is a lot of good food to be had there.

Aside from that it was just family time and sister time. I was glad to spend time with my mom and dad and especially my sister. Since she moved there, we talk mainly on emails and not the phone so we had a lot of catching up to do. It was also nice being back in Costa Rica. I always waver if I want to give it all up and live there but then I go there and think probably not. Maybe one day when I am older and more demented then I might move there but who knows.

So that's all I really have to tell. I will be posting some other pictures if I have the energy to edit them and get them up. I am going through not wanting to blog phase. Boo.


  1. Love your story and your photos! So cute ot bring Stanley with you! LOL!!

  2. that makes me want tamales! ive never even had "authentic" tamales! mmmmmmm!!! Im glad i got to see flat stanley for some reason i pictured something metal.... i have no idea why.

  3. It's so lush and beautiful there! I'm glad you had such a good visit with your family, but sorry that you weren't feeling so well.

    And seriously, this is a little unnerving that you can't shake this thing!

  4. Awww mama I hope you feel better. Thanks for finding the energy to blog, I loved hearing about your adventure. I also like the cocomut piggy banks, the colorful one is adorable! Too bad they dont make them in the US. It would be a hoot to crack open a coconut and get dinero instead of coco LOL

  5. Glad you had a good trip! Hope you're feeling better by now! I love seeing the pictures you shared, it looks beautiful there.

  6. I love the story about the fountain at the church! so sorry the trip started out with such a rush at the airport.... I have only had one connecting flight before and the 1st one was delayed so we barely made the 2nd one.... it is very stressful!