Saturday, November 10, 2012

Our Trip to St. Louis, MO

I have been busy then I got sick so I haven't really posted. But here are some pictures of our trip to St. Louis, MO this past weekend.

We went to St. Louis to attend the wedding of Tom's niece, Abbey. We left Friday and drove for over 9 hours. The drive was long and boring. But we passed through a lot of states: North Carolina, Tennessee, Kentucky, Illinois and then Missouri. But once I saw the St. Louis arch, I got excited. It was really cool.

On Friday night, we got in and saw some of the family. Then we went out to eat. OMG it is so nice to have restaurant choices. We opted for Japanese food. Then we came back tot he hotel and I went to bed and Tom went out and had drinks with his other niece and nephew.

Saturday, we got up and found a little diner to have breakfast. Then we walked over to the arch. From far away it looks pretty small but once you get closer it is huge! We walked around and took pictures then Tom suggested we go and see if we could get in.

This is where I almost ran screaming from the park. It's not that I am afraid of heights, I get freaked out when thinking about going that high up. But I went along because I figured I would chicken out and I would get out of it. But no.

First thing Tom does is go to the ticket booth and ask how much they tickets were. I was hoping they would be $100 because Tom would say no to that. They were $10 so he bought them. Luckily, we only had to wait 5 minutes to get on the tram because any longer and I would have freaked out and run away.

I have to say it is weird getting up to the top. There are like 8 little trams. It's like Disney. You wait in line and then the little door opens and people come out and you go in. It is a little white capsule with 5 seats. If you hate enclosed small spaces, never do this!

It was a little claustrophobic and I was on the verge of freaking out but our tram mates were a mom and her 2 boys. She was friendly and kept talking so she distracted me for the 4-5 minute ride. It is actually cool once you get past the fact that if the tram stopped you are trapped. You can see stairs going up in the arch and see the inner workings.

Once we stopped, it was great because although it was really cold outside, the tram was freaking hot. But you get out and walk up some stairs trying to get past the people ready to go down. Then you get to a little room with tiny windows. I was surprised the windows were so narrow and small. But what a view. On once side you see the Mississippi River and, on the other, St. Louis. It was beautiful.

We stayed up for about 10-15 minutes. Then it was back down again. Funny thing is we got back in the tram with the very nice woman and her sons. Once we got off the tram, we visited the museum they have and the gift shop. Then it was back to the hotel to get ready for the wedding.

The wedding was lovely although it was super duper cold. Once that was over, we headed back to hotel and then we went and had a snack at an Irish pub. Then again back to the hotel to get ready for the reception. Luckily, the reception was close by so we walked. We spent time with Tom's nephews and niece who I love. They are such great kids.

The next morning we got up and headed back to NC. That's it. I have to say that I am glad Tom made me go up to the arch. It is something I have always wanted to do but never thought I would. Just one more thing off my bucket list.


No comments:

Post a Comment